I have always loved cauliflowers in soups, in stews, in salads and even as hummus. When my daughter came from collage she made for me cauliflower steak and I loved it. It was excellent appetizer.I thought why not take this dish a step further and make a main dish out of it. So, I made cauliflower steak tart. Each tart is one serving and will be great to serve with hot bowl of soup.
First make the cauliflower steak
Choose large firm cauliflower head. Clean the leaves, trip the stem end. Hold the cauliflower on it's base on a cutting board. Using sharp knife, cut the cauliflower in half. Cut each half into two 1-inch thick slices.Brush each steak with olive oil and sear in frying pan until golden, flip and sear on the other side of the steak. Remove and set aside.
Make the walnut sauce
Heat the olive oil and saute the chopped onion until golden. Add the walnuts, the garlic, the coriander and cumin. Stir and cook for couple minutes. Add the Harrisa* , the pomegranate molasses and the salt. Stir, adjust the seasoning cook for 1 extra minute. Remove from the heat and set aside.
Make the tarts
You can use any dough or buff pastry but to make gluten free tart use this gluten free dough. Cut the dough into 4 5-inch balls. flatten each dough into 1/8-thick round. Place the golden cauliflower steak on the dough. Fold the edges of the dough over the sides of cauliflower steak. Place on cookie sheet. Bake the tarts in 395 Degree oven for 10 minutes.
To assemble and serve the tart
Place the tarts on serving platter, spoon the hot walnut sauce over the tart and savor all the flavors and textures. Harissa Hot chili paste that can be found in Middle Eastern stores.
- 1 .large cauliflower head
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup walnut coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, mashed
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup Harissa
- 1/4 cup pomegranate molasses
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 .cup water
- salt to taste
- Remove the leaves and trim the stem. Place the cauliflower on it's bade on cutting board and with a sharp knife cut the cauliflower in half. Cut each half into 2 1-inch thick steak.
- Brush each steak with olive oil on both sides and sear in frying pan until golden. Turn to other side and sear until golden. Set aside.
- To make the sauce: Heat the rest of the olive oil in sauce pan. Cook the onion until golden. Add the walnuts, the coriander, the cumin and the garlic. Cook for couple minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, stir, adjust the seasoning and cook for extra minute.
- To make the tarts: Cut the dough into 4 5-inch balls. Flatten each ball into 1/8-inch thick rounds. Place one cauliflower on each round and fold the edges over the sides of the cauliflower steak. Press gently.
- Bake in 395 F. oven for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven, spoon the warm walnut sauce over each tart and serve.